Signature Causes and Guidelines
The majority of the Company donations and contributions to local non-profit organizations will support our signature causes and adhere to our giving guidelines.
|International Paper Signature Causes |
We continue to be a force for good in our communities. We make sustainable investments to protect and improve the lives of our employees and mobilize our people, products and resources to address critical needs in the communities where we live and work. Most of the Company's donations and IP Foundation grants will support projects or programs focused on our Signature Causes – education, hunger, health and wellness, and disaster relief.
The future of our communities depends on the children, and therefore, we support strategic partners that focus on helping children succeed via a comprehensive approach to education. Literacy, particularly from birth through 3rd grade, is our primary focus because reading skills form the foundation for all childhood learning.
We work with food banks and other agencies to address hunger and food security for children, families and seniors. These organizations provide meals, access to healthy foods and other programs in the communities where our employees live and work.
Health & Wellness
We engage our employees and work with agencies to promote healthy living habits and achieve measurable improvements in health and wellness.
We partner with agencies to help communities prepare for and to recover from natural disasters, and we use our Employee Relief Fund to support our affected colleagues.
Limited Company and Foundation funds are available in the following areas:
Critical Community Needs
Support is also available for other critical needs in the communities where our employees live and work. International Paper personnel at our facilities are in the best position to know local needs and are tasked with ensuring that donations are allocated based on the most critical of needs. A project or program does not necessarily need to benefit the community at large, but it should impact an underserved sector of the population or serve a critical need.
Signature Environmental Causes
At International Paper, our entire business depends upon the sustainability of forests. We will continue to lead the world in responsible forest stewardship to ensure healthy and productive forest ecosystems for generations to come. We continue to improve our environmental footprint and promote the long-term sustainability of natural capital. The Company and the IP Foundation will bolster this commitment by supporting organizations working on forest, water, air and responsible sourcing issues.
The Company and the International Paper Foundation endorse employees’ community involvement efforts by considering applications from charitable organizations supported by our employees. Organizations that are supported by full-time employees who either serve on the entity’s Board of Directors or who have been supporting the organization for at least six months are eligible to apply for funding.
International Paper generally does not provide funds for:
- Salaries, stipends and other forms of compensation
- Mortgage, rent or utilities
- Academic scholarships
- Capital expenses (building funds, real estate purchases, equipment, etc.,)
- Veterans, labor groups, religious, political groups or organizations that have as their primary purpose attempting to influence legislation
- Organizations that discriminate on the basis age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, military or veteran status, national origin, race, sexual orientation, religious belief or any other classification protected by law
- Donations or contributions to primarily benefit employees or families of International Paper, or pay for services, subscriptions, tuition, or memberships
- Sponsorships or advertising
- Multi-year commitments
- Travel or lodging for groups or individuals
- More than 20 percent of a charitable organization’s total income
- Organizations less than two years old