Nothing is more important than the safety of our employees, contractors and visitors.
Our most important measure of success is ensuring all employees, contractors and visitors arrive home safely every day. We continue to work toward our Vision 2020 Goal of an injury-free workplace. We empower all our 55,000 employees to be safety leaders and ensure a safe working environment for themselves and others.
We completed 2016 without a fatal injury, a significant milestone for our company. Our success in preventing fatalities is a result of our efforts to identify and eliminate workplace hazards and to reinforce safe work habits. While we are proud of our improvement, we know that there is still work to do. We will persist in strengthening our safety culture to ensure all employees, contractors and visitors are safe.
Life-Changing Injury & Fatality Elimination (LIFE)
The LIFE (Life-changing Injury and Fatality Elimination) program is designed to eliminate injuries and fatalities by empowering all employees and contractors to recognize and manage risk.
We focus on:
- Providing safe working conditions
- Ensuring safe work actions
- Training all employees to recognize and address safe and unsafe conditions
- Promoting accountability and responsibility for ourselves and our colleagues
- Maintaining an active safety mindset at work and at home
Our approach to health and safety includes seven key elements:
- Annual Plans - We develop and implement plans for all businesses and facilities to address safety priorities. These plans are based on facility safety audits, behavior-based safety observations, and lessons learned from key indicators, such as near miss reports and safety incident trend analysis.
- Corporate Standards - We continue to develop and implement global safety regulations that specify standards and processes for identifying and eliminating health and safety hazards. Our philosophy is one company with one set of expectations, standards, and processes globally.
- Employee Involvement and Engagement - The success of our LIFE program depends on the full engagement of our employees, contractors, and visitors. Employee ownership of safe conditions and behaviors is the key to injury-free operations.
- Leadership - Our most senior leaders are actively engaged in our safety programs, ensuring adequate emphasis on LIFE and other high-profile safety initiatives. Leaders at all levels—from first line supervisors to elected officers—are responsible for ensuring safe operations.
- Metrics, Goal-Setting and Accountability - We drive safe operations by setting annual safety goals for all teams. We report safety incidents and near-misses promptly and consistently, and we share lessons learned and best practices globally.
- Risk Elimination - We use hazard risk assessments and safe-behavior audits to identify and eliminate unsafe conditions and behaviors. We engage our colleagues in these processes and use cross-functional teams to spot unsafe conditions and behaviors that need to be addressed.
- Training and Awareness - We conduct regular safety training to equip employees and contractors with the knowledge and skills needed to ensure that all work safely. And most importantly, we empower all employees and contractors to stop work if unsafe conditions or behaviors are observed.