Leadership works when employees are motivated, engaged and working toward common goals and objectives. International Paper builds employee skills and supports professional growth through a variety of training and development, working hard to create and sustain a leadership culture with high ethical standards. Our leadership development efforts fall into three key areas:
- On-the-job experiences and assignments;
- Coaching and mentoring; and
- Formal classroom training.
International Paper’s Leadership Institute provides interactive learning and growth opportunities for employees with exceptional promise. It offers skills development that helps build employee relationships, leading to better execution of business objectives. The Institute offers programs and resources that align with our key business strategies and initiatives, while promoting leadership development through assessment, feedback and coaching. Since 2005, more than 2,000 employees have participated in our Leadership Institute programs.
In 2013, more than 320 leaders, including senior management and the chairman, were a part of our 14 Institute programs, sharing examples from their own leadership experience.
First Line Leader Development
First Line Leaders (FLLs) are responsible for supervising teams of employees across the enterprise. In 2013, we expanded our development program, now available in seven languages. Two hundred FLL’s from six countries participated in the second year of the program.
IPAdvantage (IPA) Program
The company’s IPAdvantage (IPA) program seeks to identify and grow internal talent early in an employee’s career. Program participants are identified as having significant upward growth potential. The IPA experience connects participants with a range of talented IP leaders who share how work experiences and assignments contributed to their successful careers. Through open and candid discussions on career obstacles and opportunities, participants and leaders explore initiatives and actions to help maximize professional development and growth.
Additional Employee Development Resources
International Paper provides several development opportunities for employees:
- The Performance and Development Roadmap includes monthly or quarterly meetings to foster personal development, along with annual performance reviews.
- The Learning Management System provides all employees access to on-demand courses.
- Comprehensive Tuition Reimbursement Assistance Program encourages professional education.
- The online 360 feedback tool allows employees to receive feedback on specific skills from internal/external colleagues, followed by meeting with a trained facilitator who helps devise a development plan based on feedback. In 2013, more than 150 employees used the feedback tool.
- In 2013, a Leadership Learning Center (LLC) was launched online by the Leadership Institute to support formal and informal self-paced continual learning.
“Without question our results are a product of our people; consequently, we are committed to providing an inclusive work environment that ensures every employee, regardless of role or work location, has the opportunity to learn, grow and contribute every day so that teams consistently deliver the best performance possible.”Paul Karre, Senior Vice President of Human Resource and Communications